Fife Council is committed to tackling climate change and reducing carbon emissions. Through the Climate Change (Scotland) Act 2009 we have targets of reducing our carbon emissions by 42% by 2020 and 80% by 2050. This in line with UK Climate Laws and Commitments.
That’s at least a 3% reduction on our 2006/07 baseline every year until 2050.
This means we:
- build tackling climate change and carbon emission reduction into everything we do.
- must accurately measure and understand the impact on climate change and carbon emissions associated with our actions and plans.
Fife Council is tackling climate change through the following key areas:
- Developing policy that helps to tackle the causes of climate change and to adapt to its impacts, working with others in Fife as part of the Fife Partnership
- Developing and supporting the Fife Environmental Partnership and its many practical local projects.
- Developing and implementing reporting of policy and progress.
Reducing Carbon Emissions
- More efficient use of resources (energy, waste and water)
- More energy is from low carbon supplies
- Encourage more sustainable transport and travel including reducing the need to travel
- Ecosystems are used sustainably and strengthened
Adapting to Climate Change
- Places are adapting to cope with Climate Change (including land use, coastlines, buildings and infrastructure)
- People are adapting to cope with Climate Change