Fife Council agreed to declare a climate emergency for Fife on 26 September 2019.
A Climate Emergency is a public commitment to de-carbonise as rapidly as possible. Fife Council has committed to set a target for a net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2045 at the latest, this will require a huge transformation in Fife’s communities. There is an urgent need to avoid financial, societal, food chain and eco-system collapse within the lifetime of our children and everyone can contribute.
Fife Council is developing ‘Climate Fife’ a Sustainable Energy and Climate Action Plan (SECAP)
The approved Climate Fife Plan and supporting documents set out Fife’s objectives and actions to move Fife to a vision of:
- Climate friendly, having transformed the economy, infrastructure, land use and energy system to decarbonise how we live;
- Climate ready, with plans and projects to increase the resilience of Fife communities and the economy to help minimise the impacts from unavoidable climate change; and
- Climate just, ensuring that all Fifers and the Fife environment can benefit from this transition.
Find out more on Climate Fife – Fife’s Sustainable Energy and Climate Action Plan.
What can people in Fife do to help combat climate change now?
- Reduce energy used at home and work by improving energy efficiency www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/scotland
- Install renewable energy generation to reduce your energy bills www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/renewable-energy
- Reduce waste scotland.lovefoodhatewaste.com
- Recycle more www.fifedirect.org.uk/4bins
- Walk rather than taking the car, where possible. Walking can also help to prevent a range of health conditions including heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, obesity, some cancers and Alzheimer’s. www.pathsforall.org.uk/walking-for-health/health-walks/why-walk
- Use public and active transport www.travelfife.com
- Reduce your need to fly. Travel by boat and train for holiday and holiday locally.
Reducing Carbon Emissions
- More efficient use of resources (energy, waste and water)
- More energy is from low carbon supplies
- Encourage more sustainable transport and travel including reducing the need to travel
- Ecosystems are used sustainably and strengthened
Adapting to Climate Change
- Places are adapting to cope with Climate Change (including land use, coastlines, buildings and infrastructure)
- People are adapting to cope with Climate Change